Re: Reagarding SwayamVyakta Kshetrams.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 29, 2000

Srimad Venkata Lakshmana Yativaraya namah.

Sri rukmiNI sameta pArthasArathi swAminE namah.

Dear Sriman Parthasarathy swamin,

namo narayana.

Nice to hear from you. Infact, Kanchgipuram and Melkote are as imp as
Thirumalai and Thiruvarangam for us. However, to the best of my knowledge,
swayam vyakta kshEtras are only 8. There is a purANa SlOkam which lists the
ashta swayam vyakta kshetras, which I do not remember.

What you have seen in Srirangam temple must be the union of two sets - one
consisting of 8 swayam vyakta kshetras and the other comprising the four
formemost Srivaiashnava temples (koil, thirumalai, PerumAL koil,
ThirunArAyaNapuram) - which makes the total 10 as Thirumalai and Srirangam
are common elements.

A few people place ThirunIrmalai among ashta swayam vyakta kshetras in lieu
of vAnamAmalai. Regarding sAlagramam, majority opinion is that it is
Muktinath in Nepal, birthplace of river gandakI. A few people opine that it
is dAmOdarkund, whihc is also in Nepal.

dAsAnudAsan
Vinjamuri Srimahavishnu

http://www.iitian.com : An Extraordinary place for Extraordinary people