Re: nAn udaith thavaththAl thiruvadi adaindhEn

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 10, 2000

varadhan@uswest.net writes, Re: periya thirumozhi 1.6.9:
> srI. prativAdhi bhayankaram aNNaNgarAchAriAr svAmi, in his
> padavurai of this pAsuram, gives the meaning of  thavam in
> this line to mean bhAgyam -

To clarify this point further, we may refer to the commentaries
of SrI periya-vAccAn piLLai (PVP) and SrI uttamUr svAmi.  SrI
PVP comments that 'tavam' (austerity) refers to the Lord Himself
in this context.  SrI uttamUr svAmi explains further that this
can also mean the Lord's will (sankalpa).  Since nothing can
happen without Bhagavan's sankalpa, the Alvar's reaching the
sacred feet of the Lord at Naimisaranyam is felt by him
as his supreme good fortune or bhAgyam.

Specifically taking the words together, 'uDait-tavam' refers
to something done accidentally or without knowledge (ajnAta-
sukRtam or yadRcchika-sukRtam).  The Alvar, not having done
anything consciously to achieve this good fortune, attributes
everything to Bhagavan's will, without which nothing would be
possible.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan