You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : May 1999

IYENGAR

From: V.Srimahavishnu (vsri_at_iitk.ac.in)
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 22:51:29 PDT

  Dear BhAgavatas,

             Please accept my humble obeisances.It is interesting to note
that "gAr" may have something to do with gAru.

           In Telugu villages, till a few decades ago, people used to
address SVs with respect as "ayyagAru/ayyavAru".On the other hand, priests
esp. VaikhAnasas were known as nambis, though many of our pUrvAchAryars
were addressed as "nambis" in our tradition. Nowadays in AP, every brahmin
in vaidikam is an "ayyavAru."

                                                    adiyEn
                                                 V.Srimahavishnu