RE: Social aspects - part I

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 21, 1997

I would like to take a stab at this.  Not only SriVaishnavism, but the
purpose of our
religion(Hinduism) is to attain Moksha.  If we refer to Bhagvad Gita,
Lord Krishna
says to Arjuna:
"You do the Karma, leave the results to me. " When Arjuna (living in this
so called
samsaram) asks Krishna, will all the people I care about live in this
world after the
war and to this Krishna replies: Its not for you to care who will live or
die, you do your
dharma and karma.  These people were living before you were born and will
be
there after you die.  I bring this up because the western religion has a
completely
different base/foundation.  We as hindus, believe that we pay for our
sins in this
life time or when we are born again.  The religion of the West, be it
Christianity,
or Islam believes that the lord has already paid for their sins.  All
they need to do is
confess their sin, or mistake and thats the repentence.  No matter how
famous
or spread out Sri Vaishnavism is, we can never change the foundation of
Moksha.
Our priests are trained in the Vedas, to take us closer to attaining our
goal of
Salvation.

Many a times, living in Utah, I ran into Mormons and they always tried to
convince me
that their religion is the best because of the bishops who care for the
people.  I
remember a close friend of mine(a mormon) did something not supposed to
be
done, and she went and confessed it to the bishop.  The bishop told her
not attend the church for three weeks and even if she did to not take the
sacrement
or prasadam.  Our priests on the other hand would say that we should
spend
more time in the temple thinking about GOD and going through paschatapam.
I think our priests are well trained in what our religion is supposed to
depict,
our scriptures state that worldly things are useless, what we need is
faith and bhakti,
this is the primary cause when we are sad because of the materialistic
things of this world,
they explain to us that materialistic things are not so important.  We as
humans usually seek
help when we feel we have committed a mistake, however small may it be.
 A lot of times
when I was 15 or 16 years old, I would tell my friends or family back in
India, that I would not
be able to make it because I was extremely busy, though I was not.  This
may have been
a white lie and not cause any harm to anyone, but the day I told that I
would not be able
to eat, sleep or just be myself.  When I would tell my mom that I told a
lie, she would not
say its ok don't do it next time, she would say when you new you were
making a mistake,
why did you do it?  To this I would answer I don't know, and she would
say go ask for
forgiveness from who you told the lie to and then go and pray to GOD to
give you
strength, so you would not repeat it again.  This is the basis of our
religion.

However, one would think that our priests should take upon this role, as
they are about as much a part of loukikam as we lay followers are.

I would like to differ on that.  We should know that our priests have
devoted their
life to swami seva.  As a believer of Hinduism, I believe (this my belief
only) that
as long as we have utmost bhakti and faith in Swamis decision, we will
never
be sad or unhappy about the worldly things.  This weekend, my husband and
I wanted to go to Pittsburg, and our entire family was to accompany us.
 By
the time all of us got ready on Friday, it was too late at night, hence
we had
to change our plans and not go to Pittsburg.  We were all disappointed,
but we thought it was best.  On Saturday night, something happened that
made us
realize that it was best to not go.  Had we gone, we would have been in
trouble in
a new place.  What we need to do is have faith in GOD, then we need not
look
for solace or peace from a priest, whose dharma is only to help us have
faith in Swami.

Being young and having grown up with a very conservative Western
Religion,
I feel that the  future generations, will be able to differentiate better

if and only if they feel deep inside them that no matter where they are
born, they are Indians and Hindus.  Its not written on our face that we
are American.  I am a US Resident, but everytime I change jobs, or
register for classes,  I have to show proof that I am a US Resident,
this is because its not written on our faces that we are legal
residents of this country.  Once we identify ourselves as Indians and
Hindus,
we need to believe that whatever GOD does its for our best.

All the above statements are from a mind and mouth of a person (me) who
is
not very learned when it comes to SriVaishnavism or hinduism.  What I
share
is from my experience and feelings and my talks with Srimati and Sri
Jagannath
Bharadwaj who are very learned and have been able to explain the meaning
of
life in a very few words.  If I have offended anyone or said something I
should
not have I do hope that you will forgive my ignorance and pardon me.  I
certainly
would like receive email in reply to this so I can correct myself.

Following this elaborate post I have a few questions that I hope that
some of you
will take a stab at.

1)  What is the purpose of life?  I ask this because, when I was growing
up and even
 now I read that hinduism is not for converting people.  This is the
 only religion that does not go around converting people.  Is this
correct?

2)  What is Nari Dharm?  Tulsidas Ramayana states that a woman's duty is
towards
 the family.  But then if women read the bhagvad gita, are we to follow
 krishna and his teachings?

3)  How would non Sri Vaishnava's convert to Vaishnavism?  We don't have
baptism..
 When we don't convert people, then how can we say that this religion
willl
 be extremely popular?  Only the people born as Sri Vaishnava's will
 know about it, unlike other Western religions.

Forgive my stupid questions but just have to ask, because in my opinion,
being
a SriVaishnava is for two reasons and these can be wrong.
1.. if you go for the arrange marriage for the two parties to start on a
common
 ground
2,, To worship lord Vishnu.

I thankyou all for your time to read this post and answering an ignorant
person's
questions.  Thanks.

Manjula V. Sriram
Programmer Analyst