About Thirunakshatthiram

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 21, 1997

From: Satyan, Nagu on Wed, May 21, 1997 11:41 AM
Subject: About Thirunakshatthiram
To: bhakti digest

According to our parents family traditions, most Sri Vaishnavas
observe Birthdays based on Stars (Nakshatthiram).  This applies to
mortals like us as well as our respected Acharyas, Azhwars, and
Avatharams of Sriman Narayana.  In the latter case the prefix "Thiru"
connatating special is added to convey the importance of both the
observances as well as the Acharyas and God being prayed to.  As most
of you are aware, we observe Sri Jayanthi, the birthday of Sri Krishna,
 when star Rohini appears, where as Smarthas observe on Ashtami day
hence the festival called Gokulashtami.  I recognize traditionally we
observe Rama Navami on Navami day which does not always coincide with
star Punar Poosam (Punar Vasu).   However, at home we observe the
auspicious day on Punar Poosam day also.  Lord Srinivasa Perumal's
Thirunakshatthiram is observed when star Thiruvonam (Sravana) occurs.
Lord Ranganatha birthday is based on Revathi star, Panguni Utthiram
for Ranganayaki Thayar, Andal's is Adi Pooram (Pubba) etc.

To apply a broad generalization, auspicious days are observed by most
SVs based on Stars.  Even now in our family we celeberate children's
and adults birthdays based on the birth star.  In fact, it may be a
surprise to a few--even our wedding anniversaries are celebrated by
our parents based on the Indian calendar month and star when it was
performed (though I have to admit that it is easy to remember the
birthdays and wedding days based on the normal calendar).

I have relatives who are Madhavas who observe their birthdays based on
Thithi.  However, most Sri Vaishnavas follow thithis for Ceremonial
rites and observances.  The reason I use the word "most" is that I
have noticed that depending on the state that they are settled in
India, the local traditions have and continue to influence.  One
example is the start of the New Year.  Since my parents follow Solar
calendar (Suryamana), we observe New Year in mid April.  However some
SVS from Karnataka and Andhra observe in March on Ugadi Day.  Again,
Smarthas from Tamil Nadu observe in mid April where as Smarthas from
Karnataka and Andhra celebrate Ugadi which is based on Chandramana
calendar.

There is rationale supporting whatever one follows and it is a
question of traditions.  Howevr, I have pondered about the tradition
at temples when we perform Archanas.  The priests ask for the
individual's name, gothram and star.   I have not yet been asked what
thithi I was born.  May be one of you can expound on this subject.

Nagu Satyan