Re: meaning of pranavam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 1, 2003

Dear Sri Balaji,

Lord's Names are classified as 'Vyapaka' and "Avyapaka' Mantras.
Vyapaka names brings out Lord's all pervading nature and his swaroopam also.

'Avyapaka' names portray his Lelas and Gunas of his one or more of his
avatharams.

Sri Vaishnava Poorvacharyas consider that Vyapaka mantras are important than
Avyapaka names , and within  'Vayapaka' names , only  3 vyapaka names are
most important.

They are 'Narayana', 'Vishnu' and 'Vasudeva'.

You can find them in Vishnu Gayatri.
"Narayanaye Vidmahe Vasudevaya Dheemahi
Thanno Visnhu Prajothayat"

out of this 3 vyapaka mantras, 'Narayana' saptham is considered more
important because

1. The Nama 'Vishnu' only brings out Lord's all pervading nature and does
not bring out his Gunas.

2. Similarly, the 'Vasudeva' saptham bring out the meaning that all are 'in
Him' ('Sarvam vasathi- Vasudeva") but again fails in revealing his gunas.

3. Narayana saptham brings out his roopam, gunam and vyapthi (this  post is
not enough to explain this. Please refer to old archives in Bhakthi list or
talk to learned Sri Vasinava on the meaning)

in your another post, you have written like Parabrahman does not have any
gunas. Even learned adavaitic gurus like Sri Krishna Premi swamigal does not
accept these  views.

For instance, In Sri Vishnu Purnam, Sri Vyasa defines  meaning of
'Bhagavan', - means the one who has immeasurable Aiswarya, Vairaygya and
Knowledge.  This is again confirmed in various  upakyanas in Srimad
Bhagavatam.  (For instance in Gajendra stuti, even though Gajandra starts
with 'Nirvishesha brahman' addressing as  '
Namo Akila karanaya, nish karanaya... etc, he switches over to glorification
of gunas and attributes after seeing Him)

The devotees of anya devatas are called as in their names while devotees of
Sriman Narayana are called 'Bhagvatas'

The gita of all the demi Gods are called in their respective while Lord's
Gita is called as 'Bhagvat Gita'

I suggest you to read Srimad Bhagavatam and various commentaries on Sri
Bhagavat Gita before deciding if Lord has any gunas.

If he does not have any gunas, he shall not be  the object of worship by
many Bhagavatas .

Regards
Kazhiyur M Narayanan