Re: Small Doubt on DashavatAra.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 21, 2000

SrI:
SrI Lakshminrusimha ParabrahmaNE namaha
SrI Lakshminrusimha divya pAdukA sEvaka SrIvaN SatakOpa -
SrI nArAyaNa yateendra mahAdESikAya namaha

 Dear SrI Malolan,
 namO nArAyaNa.

> SrI Malolan wrote :
>In the line of the Dasha AvatAram, Balarama comes after Krishna. But
>during the end of the MahabharatA, Balarama goes back into the Ocean in
>the form of a serpent. I was told the Balarama as well as Lakshmana are
>the incarnations of Adi Sesha. If this is true, then how can the 9th
>Avatar ( Balarama) be of Lord Vishnu's AvatarA. Some texts say the 9th
>Avatara after Krishna-vatara is the Buddha-vatara.

>SrI Sadagopan wrote:

> Whether Shri BalarAmAvathAram is an amsAvathAram
> like ParasurAmAvathAram is some thing other BhakthAs
> would like to comment.It must be pointed out
> that ParasurAmAvatharam is one in which the Lord
> infused His divine powers in a pious Brahmin for
> performing some miracles .During the AyOdhyA-
> RaamAvathAram , the Lord pulled back all
> the divine powers from ParusurAmaan. Thus,
> ParasurAmAvathAram is not considered a direct
> avathArAm of Sriman NaarAyaNA , although AzhwArs
> and AchAryAs have paid their tributes to ParasurAman
> inview of His traditional inclusion in the DasAvathArams.

  The ten avatArams spoken off by our AchAryas are as per the
  nArAyanIya section of MahAbhArata and also HarivamSa which
  enlists the same.

  BalarAma avatAram (8th in the list) is not taken by PerumAL
  Himself directly. BalarAma is an avatAram of AdisEsha only. But,
  Lord invested more potencies unto AdisEsha for performing some
  leelAs as BalarAma. Though as a nitya-sUri he can perform many
  leelAs, its just the will of PerumAL in investing some potencies
  unto BalarAmar and thus counted as a (secondary) avatAram of
  PerumAL.

  Lakshmana is not listed in the ten avatArams though He is also
  an incarnation of Adi SEsha because, the potency invested by
  PerumAL on BalarAma is more than to that of Lakshmana.

  Reg Buddha avatAram : The references in the texts like SrImad
  BhAgavatam does not pertain to the Buddha who was "SiddhArta".
  It refers to some Buddha of the past who fooled the athiests.
  It is not a direct avatAram by PerumAL. Also, in Buddhism itself,
  they talk about many Buddhas.

  This was the explanation adiyEn heard from a vidvAn some
  months back.

 adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,
 anantapadmanAbhan.

Did you know you're using eGroups now?