Re: Digest Number 34 - Regarding Tulasi Maharani

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 12, 2000

Hare Krishna.

I would like to refer to His Grace Jagannathan Venkatanathan prabhu's mail
regarding the use of Tulasi in soaps.

You have certainly not made a mistake in explaining that it should NOT be
used.
A Vaishnava is one who sees his worshippable Lord wherever He is manifest.
Likewise with Tulasi devi.
This is not subject to ritual installations and sacred rituals alone. The
Lord is the Lord whether He is installed in his Deity form or whether He is
not installed. It is not that we shall only offer obeisances to the Lord at
Thiruvengadam and disregard Him when He appears on a book cover. Likewise
Tulasi devi's mahima is not dependent on whether she has been properly
nurtured for worship or otherwise. These ceremonies and observances are
important. Admitted. Nevertheless, one who is a sincere devotee does not
make demarcations. We should see the Lord in any condition as the Lord and
His nitya parishada as nitya parishada no matter in what condition they
exist.

For the bhakta, his worshipable Lord is always His worshipable Lord
regardless of the via medium. Likewise, with Tulasi devi.

Otherwise, we are giving more importance to ritualism than to the Lord and
His paraphernalia and their absolute nature.

Your servant,
R. Jai Simman
Singapore

Click here for Free Video!!