Simhachalam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 10, 1999

Sri Raamajayam
>>Hare Krishna! I am planning a trip to India during which I will be leaving
the last weekend of March and coming back around May 6th. I have the last 2
weeks of my stay there all to myself, and I am planning on visiting both
Simhaachalam and Shrii Rangam and having darshan of the Deities of
Varaaha-Narasimha and Shrii Ranganaatha Swaami, respectively.

Dear Sri.Krishna,
                            Simhaachalam is best accessible by bus from
Vizag(Vishakapatnam) or Rajahmundry(1 hr before Vizag).  It is a beautiful temple
atop a beautiful hill(small hill to climb as Mt.Faber in Singapore, or St.Thomas Mt
in Madras). I have been fortunate to visit this temple twice, when I was young,
thanks to my parents.  Perumaal is Ugraha Narasimhar(Angry), and is cooled by Sandal
wood paste(in fact only once a year they uncover, and the Garbha graham(Sanctum) is
very hot with Perumaals still unsubsided fury).  The Perumaal is so great, that we
even forget ourselves on glimpsing the Lord as if in trance & like Kuchelar we
forget to even ask what we want from our lord(of course is there a need to ask for
moksham, since we are already in Vaikuntham).  The sthalam is blessed with Akaasa
Gangai perenially flowing atop the hill.

Adiyen's request, you could take the Coromandel Express from Madras to this temple
to Vizag.  There are other beautiful temples enroute like Annavaram Sathya Naarayana
Perumaal, Sri Koormam Koorma Avathara Sthalam(near Guntur, but buses ply from Vizag
also) and Sri.Mangala Giri, Paanaha Narasimhar(where this Narasimhar takes Paanagam
and lets out half of what he takes as Prasadam for his Bhakthaas and lets out a burp
as a token of his satisfaction) which is very near Vijayawada(exactly mid way
between Madras and Vizag).

At Rajahmundary & Vijayawada there are punya theertha's(holy waters) of Godavari &
Krishna river which are flowing in all their might even in summer.

Enjoy your trip.

Hare Krishna!

Adiyen,

Sudarsan