Collecting all alwar and acharya thaniyans.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 22, 1997

Dear Sri Rangarajan Sudarsan :
Regarding your posting on collection
of all the Taniyans and their meanings
in one place , it is a very good idea.
It is however a huge task given there are more
than one taniyan by our AcharyAs and poets
like Kamban .Further , The Taniyans might
probably fit together as an inseparable unit
with the Subject matter of their salutation
(Viz )., AzhwAr's AruLiccheyalgaL and
sthothrams .

I will illustrate the size of the effort that
one has to be prepared to undertake as one gets into
this project . This is not to say that such an
effort is not to be attempted , but it will take
a long time to complete by any one person .
Even then , we may wish to appreciate the Taniyans in their
context of the AruLiccheyalgaL and sthothrams ,
which will add more to the time it takes to complete
this laudable task.I guess we ahve to go slowly.

Finally , There have been one or more postings on
selcted Taniyans that are archived in Sri MaNI's
wonderful data Base . The classification there by
date , author and threads is extremely impressive .

V.Sadagopan