Re Sri Varadhan's Article

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 20, 1997

From: Satyan, Nagu on Thu, Mar 20, 1997 6:18 PM
Subject: Re Sri Varadhan's Article
To: bhakti digest

I agree with Sri Dileepan Parthasarathy's comments on Sri Varadhan's
Postings.  Does it make the Vadagalai Sri Vaishnavas non-existent or
the Acharyas like Swami Desikan who was responsible in many ways in
preserving Sri Vaishnavism under the heavy pressure of other
philosophies?  I am afraid that if this type of attitude continues
with younger generation in either Sampradayams, we will continue to
discourage individuals from following SVism, dwindle in numbers and
spend negative energy trying to prove why one is right and the other
is wrong.

Mohan's nice analysis and comments apply to Sri Vaishnavas brought up
in Karnataka.  In our family (belonging to Vadakalai Sampradayam), one
of my sisters is married to a Thengalai and I have cousins married
into Thengalai families.  Of course, there are some difficulties in
adjustments.  But that is true within any sampradayam.  In my case,
both my husband and I belong to families from Vadakalai Sampradayam.
We had differences in many thought process, because I was influenced
by my parents being "Madras Iyengars" and my parents-in-law being
Hebbar Iyengars.  Many of the SVs, especially the Hebbar Iyengars are
influenced by the local Smarta and Madhava traditions.  However, none
of us claim that we are the only Sri Vaishnavas.  Where feasible, we
modify our ways, and where we differ we agree to continue with the
sampradayam that makes us comfortable.  In a broader sense, we all
have the same objectives.

Some of us are trying to unite SVs of all Sampradayams (Hebbar,
Mandyam, Madras, Andhra,  Thengalai and Vadakalai).  In Colorado, we
have a larger population of SVs from Thengalai Sampradayams.  Many of
them are related and/or close friends to us.  Whether they are from
Andhra or Karnataka, I have not had any indication from them that only
they are considered Sri Vaishnavas.  I hope that Varadhan provides
clarification.

Nagu Satyan