About Garuda Manthra

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 14, 1997

From: Satyan, Nagu on Fri, Mar 14, 1997 2:22 PM
Subject: About Garuda Manthra
To: bhakti digest

My mother who lives with me read all the postings on Sri Garuda
Manthram.  Yesterday night, she asked me to send this post on her
behalf.  She had narrated this incident when we were young.  However,
I forgot about it until she reminded me yesterday.

According to my mother this incident happened more than 70 years back
in Lakshmipuram, near Kuppam, Chitoor District.  There is a Varadaraja
perumal koil there. This temple is more than 700 tears old.  My
(Nagu's)  great great grandfathers on my paternal side are from here.
We still have our property in the koil street.  Our family priest as
well as my father's cousin is Late Sri Madabushi Gopalan.  We used to
call him VAdiyAr Mama.  He performed the namakarnam, Ayushhomam, as
well as the weddings for all the children.  He had relayed the
incident to her when she moved to Bangalore after her marriage in 1944.

In Lakshmipuram, my father'sfamily were the sponsors for Vairamudi
Sevai every year.  This takes plave at the same time as Melkote.
During the annual uthsavam period,  one afternoon when this uncle was
lying down on the cot he saw a large snake crawling on the wooden
rafters and about to drop down.  Being very young and wanting to test
the effect of Sri Garuda Manthram, he recited it loud.  Immediately
the snake became still and was hanging limp.  Apparently, they had to
kill it since it was motionless.  This uncle regreted that he tested
the effect of the manthram.  Later,  in early 1950's he built a home
in Banasankari, Bangalore.  At that time, the area was wooded.  There
also, a snake was seen near his home.  After his earlier experience,
he decided to let the snake be there.  However, as the neighbors moved
in and saw the snake crawling freely around the homes, they resorted
to kill it.

The message my mother wanted to convey is that Garuda Manthram does
 have an effect and purpose when used appropriately.  It is a question
of belief.  This incident is being provided for information and it is
upto individuals to decide on the merits of manthra.

With Regards

Nagu Satyan for Smt. Rajalakshmi Rangaswamy