You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : March 1996

Ramanujacharya on Brahmanical Orthodoxy

From: Vijay Srinivasan (Vijay_Srinivasan_at_praxair.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 1996 - 04:57:39 PST

This is in response to Mani's interesting comments on the above subject.
Incidentally, I like the way he questions.  It challenges the readers.

Perhaps as a clarification to his points, I wish to state that I have
understood Ramanujacharya's position on orthodoxy this way:

Our Acharya respected the traditional Brahmanic codes (classified under
shastras).  But where Bhakti or love is overwhelming, these conventional rules
give way to exceptions.  This will explain the position taken by our acharya
with regard to the partaking of left-overs from Thirukachhi nambigal, or his
leaning on shoulders of Urangavilli Daasar.  I think intentions are more
important than the action itself.

Vijayaraghavan Srinivasan