Re: 2 interesting questions

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 7, 1995

	Ahem!

	oooo Boy... this opens a *BIG* can of worms.
	Me and my wife always have discussions on things like these and I end up losing
	(not able to answer satisfactorily probably because of my lack of enough knowledge)

	To Q1 below... I have a corollary...

	Only fairly recently we have discovered (in the last 100 or so years) that plants
	are living beings too. How is it  we "kill" them - I am not talking about fruits -
	to get grains like rice, wheat etc.?  Just because they don't bleed &/or protest
	does not mean they don't hurt.

	About Q2 below... i have a point-of-view...

	We are now pitting Laukeekam against Vaideekam (i think)
	In olden days, the dog was never allowed inside the house! Why say "olden" days?
	As a child, when I used to visit my grandmother in a remote village near Mysore,
	the dog used to eat our leftovers from the leaves on which we ate.
	Ofcourse we did not have *any control* what the dog ate in its "own private time"
	it definitely used to go from houes to house to eat!!
	So the question in itself has relevance only in the modern (Laukeeka) world...

	There are some compromises you have to make when you embrace Laukeekam, as we all've done
	by coming to this country. Why come this far? Even in India, there is Laukeekam!!!
	As a true Brahmanan you are not allowed to eat until you
	do sandhyaavandnam  at the Nadee Teeram (river bank) daily and not until you see the sun!
	My father used to say a cloudy day is called DurDinam (bad day). SO... No sun... No food!!!!

	All I can say is we all have to strike a balance. The real-life analogy is teh balance
	between work and family time. Each one of them has its own rewards. it is upto you
	how you balance them. THere is no one black/white answer.

	My 2 cents, :-)
	LakshmiNarayanan