Re: Fwd: Vyudham

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 30, 2003

SrI:

Dear  SrIman Raghavan:

Here are 8 information points relating to your
question on Vyuham (Original query at the end
of this note):

1. VyUham is a doctrine developed by PaancharAthram text.
Thirumazhisai AzhwAr is the First  AzhwAr to make reference
to these PaancharAthric doctrine in the dhivya prabhandham .
VyUham is one of the five manifestations of SrIman NaarAyana .

2.There are FOUR forms of VyUha Moorthys : VaasudEva , SamkarshNa ,
PradhyumnA and Aniruddha. Each of these VyUha Moorthys are
associated with specific powers , duties /functions such as
Creation (Srushti), sustenance (Sthithi) , dissolution (SamhAram)
and the UpadEsam/propagation of Jn~Anam for Moksham .
The VyUha concept is very central to VaishNavite theology.

3. VaasudEvan of the four VyUha Moorthys (The First)VyUha
Moorthy is alternativey known as VyUha VaasudEvan and
Para VaasudEvan , whom You see represented on the side of
SrIranga VimAnam (PraNavAkAra VimAnam at SrIrangam).

4. There are 4 VyUha Moorthys and 12 VyUhAnathara Moorthys;
latter is a sub-division of the 4 VyUha Moorthys .
A total of24 sub-vyUha Moorthys have thus been recognized
and this can be a confusing topic as one tries to relate
the different VyUha Moorthys in terms of hierarchy.
Therefore , we will focus only on the fundamental doctrine
of four VyUha Moorthys .

5. SarvEswaran, Sriya: Pathi is recognized in our
SaasthrAs as ShADguNya SampoorNan or filled with
six auspicious attributes that are primary: Jn~Ana ,
Bala , Isvarya, Veerya,Sakthi and Tejas . Rest of
the GuNAs of the Lord ( cited in SaraNAgathy Gadhyam ,
SrI VishNu Sahasra Naamam ) flow out of these SIX GUNAS .
The three of the VyUha Moorthys with the exception of
VaasudEvan have a pair of the six GuNAs as belonging to
them . VaasudEvan however has all the six guunams . Among
the remaining three , according to the PaancharAthraa
Aagamam , the second  VyUha Moorthy(SamkarshNa)
is linked with Jn~Ana and Bala; Pradhyumna has
Isvaryam and Veerya; Aniruddha is associated with
Sakthi and Tejas. It must be stressed that all
VyUha Moorthys have the pair of GuNams cited above
as ther dominant feature , while possesssing in
general all the six guNams. VaishaNava AchAryAs
have defended the PaancharAthra Aagamam and
accept VyUha Vaasu Devan (Para VaasudEvan)
as the Lord at SrI Vaikuntam , who blesses
the Muktha Jeevans to have ParipoorNa BrahmAnandham
and accepts nithya Kaimkaryam from them

6) The fnctions of the VyUha Moorthys are:

SamkarshaNa : SamhAram (dissolution of the Universe)
and "promulgation " of the SaasthrAs.

PradhyumnA: Srushti(Creation) and "establishment "
of Rhutham (Dharma).

Aniruddha : Sthithi(protection) and dissemination of
the Jn~Anam about Bhagavath Saasthrams.

7)The PurANic  concept of three functions
(Creation , Sustenance and  dissolution)
have been linked with Brahma , VishNu and
Siva and they in turn have been mapped on to
the  three VyUha Moorthys and their functions
described above. Advanced concepts like PanchIkaraNam
have been developed to explain the two levels of creation
(Vyashti and  Samashti Srushti).

8) AchArya RaamAnujA reconciles these different
points about VyUha doctrines with the statement that
the four vyUha Forms are manifestions of One Supreme
Brahman arising  out of His own unfettered Sankalpam
(Free will) for the sole purpose of blessing His devotees.

V.Sadagopan

At 02:42 PM 3/30/03 +0530, you wrote:
>"Lakshminatha samarambham Nada yamuna madyamam
>asmadhaachaarya paryantham vande guruparamparam"
>
>Sir,
>I have a question to ask. I sent it to you at saranagathi@yahoogroups.com.
>But it returned to me. Please  tell me how do I post questions and messages?
>I am asking the question below.
>Narasimha Raghavan.
>

>Respected Vaishnavas,
Sri vaishnavam says sriya: pathi
>sriman Narayanan exists in five forms.
>
>That is Param, Vyudham, Vibhavam, Antaryami and Archavatharm.
Of the I cound not >perceive/Know/Describe (or whatever
may be suitable word) the vyudham.