Re: new memeber (Sri Parthasarathy Perumal)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 17, 2003

--- In bhakti-list@yahoogroups.com, "D.Satish Kumar"
wrote:
> dear bakthas
> i have seen our Emperuman sporting a
> moustache in the Thiruvallikeni Parthasarathy temple
> in madras,can anyone explain its significance?
> regards
> satish

Dear Sri Sathish,

Welcome.

The short explanation for the above question is, Sri Krishna was the
Sarathy for Arjun during the war in Mahabharat.

Here is a quote from http://www.srivaishnava.org/ddesam/tvkeni/index.html

"This idol in thiru allik kEni is prominent for us in Sri sampradaayam
and those who are taking refuge at Lord's feet as per HIS charaNagathi
slOkam. It is becuase of the fact that the feature of this idol
represents the moment the Lord gave us Geetha in arjunas chariot. It
is hard to find out the details as to when Saint Veda vyAsa obtained
this from Lord Krishna. However as similar to Sri Ranganathar of Sri
Rangam, this idol also had some very special features of this
avatharam (Sri Krishna avathAram) carried over with it. The idol had a
changam in hand and "dhAna" muththirai on the other hand. DhAna
muththirai is the one that points to HIS thiruvadi and indirectly says
that take refuge there by surrendering and I will protect you by all
means and Bless you". Lord krishna accepted all the arrows of the
opponent's chief Bhisma when Lord was covering for Arjuna, as his
saarathi or charioteer. These arrows made some scars on Lord's face
and such scars are visible even today on the face of this ursavar that
vyAsar did prathistai here as his (seethanam ?) or in memory of Sri
Krishna avatharam. If one can go closer to the ursavar they can see
these scars on HIS face and at this moment one can realize that this
is the same Lord who stood on the chariot in the battle filed and one
will get thrilled to have this realization. ie One can really feel HIS
presence here if they can truly surrender and see this Lord, which
will make one to have an electrifying experience."

adiyEn
Venkatesh Elayavilli