Re: [Oppiliappan] whether god is really listening to our prayers

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 7, 2003

Dear  Dr.Ramakrishna:

on reading Your comments to your response to
point 1 , the following Upanishadic
passages came to my mind:

The passage is  from KenOpanishad is set up as a Q&A:

The student asks the question and the AchAryan
responds:

Question:

kEnEshitham pathathi prEkshitham mana:
kEna prANa: praTama ; praithi yuktha:
kEnEshithAm vaachamimAm vadhanthi
chakshu: srOthram ka u dEvO yunakthi

(Meaning by  Dr.NSA Swamy): Prompted by whom does
the mind function in its objects? Being directd by whom
does the chief vital air proceed to function ?
By whom is this speech directed that people utter?
Who is that  effulgent God that directs the eyes and
the ears?

AchAryan's answer:

SrOthrasya SrOthram manasO manO
yath vAchO ha vAcham sa u prAnasya prANa:
chakshuschakshu: athimuchya dheerA:
prEthyAsmAllOkAdh amruthA bhavanthi

(Meaning given by  Dr.NSA Swamy): Knowing  Him
who is the ear of the ear , the mind of the mind ,
the speech of the speech , the life of life
and the eye of the eye, the wise passing out of
this  world (through archirAdhi mArgam) after
death become immortal.Such people become MukthAs.

Through the next few manthrAs of this humbling
Upanishad , teacher states that such informing
and energizing principle (Brahman) is not to be
known by the external or internal organs.

This Upanishad goes on to say: Brahman is infinite
and hence is not knowable as "This Much" with our
limited faculties. It is unknowable in its fullness
and totality but is known to one , who does not think
it is of limited (aparicchinnathvAth BrahmaNa:) is
the comment of Bhagavath RaamAnujA.

In the concluding passage of the second khaDam
of this Upanishad , the appeal is made to us for hurrying
to gain Knowledge about Brahman as the possessor of
unique attributes such as Sathyam , Jnanam and
ananthathvam  . The phalan of attaining amruthathvam
(immortality ) through such attempt to know about
Brahman is stressed . AzhwArs have stressed this same
Upanishadic message intheir Paasurams ( Thirumangai
in His Periya Thirumozhi paasurams on BadrikAsramam
and elsewhere).

To make it easy for us to relate to Him ,
He is present as Archais at the dhivya desams .
The analogy that comes to mind regarding
the soulabhyam of ArchA Moorthys is like
the Cow , whose whole body is full of milk
but that milk for our easy access and enjoyment
comes out of the udders . ArchA Moorthy enjoyment
is the wonderful and easy way to talk with Him,
ask Him questions and get answers and enjoy Him
in this world as the AzhwArs showed us the way.

NamO NaarAyaNaa !

V.Sadagopan

SrImathi SangeethA's Question
******************************
>Sangeetha  wrote:
>    Hello Everybody,
>    Greetings. I am Sangeetha, Vadagalai Iyengar. I have a very basic >doubt
on whether god is >really listening to our prayers and whether he is
with us. I am not able to find an answer to this. I will be greatful
if any one of you could share your mystic experiences.
>    With Warm Regards
>    Sangeetha
>""""

Dr.Ramakrishnan's rsponse to the above question
>>1.  Regarding the first point that 'whether god is really listening to >our
>>prayers and whether  He is with us';  it should be noted that if it is not so,
one will not only be able to even raise such a question at all, but also will
not be able to read this message itself, because due >to Him only all the
pancha indriyams are working (led by the mind) as >declared by Himself in
Srimadbhagavadgita.>