Re: Digest Number 563 ( Once upon a time... )

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 20, 2002

Dear  Srii Jayanarayanan,

You have raised an interesting question.

>From whatever little introductory Sriibhaashyam I have heard (actually
from a Srii-vaishNava-vaidika scholar but who was 'born' in an advaitin
family), SrI rAmAnuja's interpretation of the Saariiraka-Saastra is
considered consistent & true to the intent of great maharshi-s like
Srii-paraaSara while SrI Sankara's bhaashyam is considered to run
counter to the maharshi-s.

Srii raamaanuja himself quotes maharshi-s from smRti-s (like Sriimad
vishNu-puraaNam) that follow some Sruti-vaakyam-s almost verbatim and
then explains how deviant Srii Sankara's explanations are from the
mantra-dRshta-s like Srii-paraaSara & Srii-vyaasa.  but I do not
remember specifics now. but if you are really interested in the details
I can hook you up with the scholar I heard it from.

Anyway, could you let us know the specifics from the Srii-bhaashyam
book mention below?

Please also let us know the author of the BSB book you have.

Regards

rAmAnuja-dAsa
//Ramkumar

 --- In bhakti-list@y..., Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan
 wrote:
 > I chanced to read a posting by Mani Varadarajan in the ancient
 USENET
 > newsgroup alt.hindu, and was wondering if Mani's challenge still
 holds:

 > http://www.hindunet.org/alt_hindu/1994/msg00757.html
 >
 > --------------------
 > Subject: Re: superstitions
 > From: Mani Varadarajan
 > Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 12:11:36 -0700
 > Newsgroups: alt.hindu
 >
 > [..]
 >
 > Ramanuja, the other major expositor of the Sutras, certainly
 > cannot be accused of "filtering" the text through the Vaishnava
 > tantras.  The sole foundational texts for his understanding of the
 > Sutras are the Upanishads, and secondarily the Gita and Vishnu
 > Purana (texts used by Sankara himself). If you can show me where
 >                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 > in his Sri Bhashya Ramanuja departs from these exegetical
 principles,

 > I will wear the ashes of an Advaitin forthwith!
 >
 > I'm not sure if the "Sri Bhashya" refers to Ramanuja's Brahma Sutra
 > Bhashya, but if such is the case, then the translation of
Ramanuja's BSB
 > that I have with me does indeed point out several instances where
Ramanuja

http://movies.yahoo.com/