Re: phala-tyAga vs. phala-sanga-tyAga

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 10, 2002

Hari Om,

Phala Tyagam is renounciation of the fruits of one's
action. Actually any and every action has to produce
its results. But the doer need not necessarily be
interested in enjoying the fruits of the action.

Phala-sanga-tyagam is renounciation of the attachment
to fruits of action. To almost all practical purposes,
these two are the same.

Once an old man was digging a small pit and planting a
mango sapling. The mughal emperor who was going by
that road saw it and called the old man and enquired
about the (apparent) foolishness of planting the mango
seed at that old age, since there was no probability
for the old man to enjoy the fruits of the tree.

The old man smiled gently and replied," Jahapana!
(Emperor!) If our forefathers also thought likewise,
we wouldn't be enjoying nice mangoes today!"

The emperor was really pleased with the enlightened
answer of the old man.

The above story can probably be taken as an example of
phala-tyaga, since the old man's action was certainly
not for himself. But was it also a case of
phala-sanga-tyaga? Difficult to answer. The old man's
motive is certainly altruistic, but is he totally
detached to the fruits of his action? Difficult to
say.

Enlightened readers may like to offer more ideas,
especially with reference to the stories from the
lives of Sri Ramanuja and other Alwars. This is
specially relevant in the light of the bhakti-list
group's moderator's revised guidelines.

Hari Om tatsat!

Swamy

http://mail.yahoo.com/