RE: Tulasi : selling and buying.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 29, 2001

Dear Bhagavathas

It is a routine practice ot buy tulasi mala and offer it to the Lord in most
temples. Why is it wrong ? Is there any scriptural reference for that ?

Yours humbly
Rajaram

-----Original Message-----
From: adiyaen@hotmail.com [mailto:adiyaen@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 7:52 AM
To: bhakti-list@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Tulasi : selling and buying.

Sri Mattapally Nadham Pranathosmi Nithyam Namaha

This involves an old lady whose livelihood revolved around selling
tulasi garlands to bhaktAs visiting Sri Mattapally. Her experiences
befits most of us and hence am elaborating on this.

During one of HIS avirbhAvams upon Sri Mukkur Lakshminarasimhachariar,
this lady pleaded Sri Mattapally Nadhan  to help her out of the
worldly miseries. She said, "Since my childhood all I have done is
only selling tulasi to your bhaktAs. I have not committed any sins
knowingly and is this what I should get from you in return?". Perumal
immediately said, "How do you know what is sin and what is not ? No
man has the intellect to identify all his sins. In your case,whatever
you have committed daily since childhood is nothing but sin".

And HE continued, "SthrIs should NEVER pluck tulasi leaves and make a
garland out of it. Moreover, Nobody SHOULD sell Tulasi. The persons
selling Tulasi and the ones buying it and offering it to BhagavAn
would only incur HIS wrath".

>From the very next day this 60+ year old lady walked a few
kilometeres to pluck flowers and started selling it. Les simples les
heureux.

adiyEn
Rajagopalan Srinivasan