Re: SandyAvandanam Timing

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 27, 2001

Shrimate Ramanujaya Namaha

Dear Shri Varadarajan:

Once Navalpakkam Swamigal was mentioning that our ShAstrAs were developed
for a rural-setting and not for someone living in a multi-storeyed building
located in a urban city.  They were written primarily for India.  The
question is really - how best we can adopt our ShAstrAs to the local
conditions.  For example - Will the Sandhya timings apply to someone staying
near the north/south pole, where somedays during the year the sun never sets
or rises.  Are we to combine all sandhyas together.  Other examples are:
(1) Can we use stainless steel for cooking  (2) Can we use city water (3)
Can we use gas cooking range for cooking  (4) Can we walk on carpets from
achAram's stand-point. (5) Can we use dining-table (6) Can we self-serve
food with left hand etc. etc.

The basic intentions of these rules are (1) Discipline & regularity (2)
Cleanliness and (3) Sincerity.  I think our ShAstrAs were written with this
broad frame-work in mind.  When you adapt any of our Sastraic rules to our
local conditions, it should be measured with the above yard-stick.  However,
if we are in India we should follow the dictums of shAstrAs to the best
extent possible.

Now coming back to your question:  The rule for arghyam is
(Sooryanaik-)kAnAmal KOnAmal kandu kodu.  The sun rise is necessary for
Pratha: upasthAnam.  Similarly, you must sight the stars for sAyam
upasthAnam.  Personally, I follow 6am and 6pm  for prathas sandhya and sayam
sandhya respectively.

Someone can come up with a question: Can we follow the Indian Panchangam for
sun rise and sun set, just like some of us do for determining ekAdasi thithy
etc.!!!!!

DAsan

Tirumalai NallAn Chakravarthy Vijayaraghavan
Buffalo, NY