You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : March 2001

Timekeeping

From: Srinath Chakravarty (xsrinath_at_ti.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 10:52:54 PST

Dear members:  I am wondering about the way in which
time was measured/kept track of in ancient India.  For
example, how were the jaathakams of people tabulated
at a time before the invention of mechanical clocks?  We
know that entire jaathakams can be different, within a
matter of minutes at times.  Further, how were the
muhoortams/kaalams known relative to sunrise and
sunset?  Perhaps these are simple questions.  I don't
know - but would certainly appreciate any clarifiaction
from readers.  Thanks in anticipation.

Truly,
-Srinath C.