Re: [jetusa] SrI rAmAnujar vis-a-vis Adi Sankarar.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 17, 2001

Dear Sri Lakshmi Kumar,

Popularized notions such as these probably came into vogue only
in the past 100 years or so through the work of well-intentioned
religious organizations that sought to unify various streams of
religious thought under a common umbrella.  These same
well-intentioned groups also suggested that our Ramanuja's
teachings were based on Sankara's; and that they served differing
levels of religious experience, with Sankara's being at the top
level.

All these notions do not reflect either historical or religious
accounts of the life of our Ramanuja.  His vision of spirituality
and devotion expressed through humanitarianism and upliftment of
society is so lofty, that it really could not be compared to any
other philosophy, in as much as his life could not be compared to
Sankara's.

This is not to suggest that Sri Sankara should not be given
respect for his contributions or his own life.    But, my
personal view is that making an effort to connect his life and
philosophy with Ramanuja's would really dilute the value of the
individual contributions of each of these renowned scholars.

I would suggest that you read authentic versions of the lives and
teachings of these scholars if you are interested in developing
an understanding of their unique lives and individual
contributions.   Sri Radhakrishnan's works can probably provide
you with a good understanding of Sankara's life, while A.
Govindacharya's Life of Sri Ramanuja - which is available through
many SriVaishnava book stores in Chennai - is an excellent
resource on Sri Ramanuja and his wealth of contributions.

Ramanuja Dasan
Mohan