Jaya Vijaya (was a Sri K.Sadananda's query)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 16, 2001

Sri:
Srimathe rAmAnujAya namaha:

Dear Sri Sadanandagaru,

You wrote:

> 5. When ones goes to VaikunTa there is no return back, is it not?
> yadgatvaa na nivartante tat dhaama paramam mama - says Giita.  Then I
> hear about the story of Jaya and Vijaya who were guards  at the
> vaikunTa.  Their behavior towards Sanatkumaara-s indicates that they
> are subjected to rajo guNa even in VaikunTa - and they were cursed to
> return back to the earth.  How do we account the triguNa-s even in
> Divyavibhuuti - and that jiiva-s are still under their influence.  If
> jaya and vijaya can return back then other jiiva-s can too.  But that
> violates B.G. statement. Any clarification?

I had asked the same question to the forum in June 2000. I received an
excellent reply from the dhouhitran of Abhinava Desikar Uttamur Swami. Sri
Anand K Karalapakkam has beautifully explained your query.

========START FORWARDED MESSAGE============

Sri:
SrimatE Sri Lakshminrusimha ParabrahmaNE namaha
Sri Lakshminrusimha divya pAdukA sEvaka SrivaNN-
SatakOpa Sri nArAyaNa yateendra mahAdESikAya namaha

 Dear devotees,
 namO nArAyaNa !

 < The following write-up by adiyEn is in my computer
     for more than an year. But, in adiyEn's memory it
     has not been yet posted to the bhakti list. Hence,
     forwarding it in the light of the recent discussion >.

      Jaya and Vijaya Episode :
    ****************************

 The question is to know whether the curse took place in either
 SrI VaikuNTham Or kArya VaikuNTham (replica of SrI VaikuNTham
 in the material world). This question is dealt by SwAmi Desikan
 Himself in His VirOdha ParihAram ( part of Chillarai rahasyam).

Swami Sri Desikan says in VirOdha parihAram #107:
"ippadi sila janmAntara SamskArAdikaL upakarikka
anukUla SvabhAvarAyp piRandu muktarAkap prAptarAnAlum,
janmAntarankaLilum pratikUlanAy antima janmattilum
tAn padumaLavum (i.e. until death) etirambu kOttu
ninRa sisupAlanukku "pratibhavam aparAddhu: mugddha
SAyujadObhU:" (stOtra ratnam #63) enkiRapadiyE mOksham
koduttapadi en? ennil,

adiyilE sri vishnu lOkattilE dvArapAlapadam peRRAr
iranDu ksEtrajyar bhAgavatapachAra-visEshattAl moonRu
janmam pratikUlarAyp piRandu, avvapachAra phalavasAnattilE
pazhaiya padam peRRu kramENa muktaRAy ninRArkaL enRu
purANasiddham AakaiyAlE ippadippatta vishayangaLilum
munpuRRai (that which was present earler) adhyAtma-
sikshai adiyaaga mOksham ennumidam siddham."

Essence of the above (Using Sri SrirAmadEsikAchAryA's
vivaraNam, published by Poundarikapuram Ashramam ):

Qtn 107 :

It is understandable to see someone who is born as a good person,
with good habits (due to sukrudams of previous births), get the
opportunity for mOksham. But, how come someone, like Sisupalan,
who committed offenses in previous births, and continued to commit
offenses even in the current birth till the time he died, got
moksham, as described in ALavandhAr's sthOthra ratnam #63?

Answer :

There is a lOkam under Sri Vaikuntam called Vishnu lOkam (kArya
VaikuNTham). Two exalted jIvas who were holding the post of guards
for the Lord in this lOkam committed offenses against bhAgavathas.
Because of this they were born three times as opponents of the Lord.
In this way they suffered the consequences of their bhAgavatha
apachaaras. After that they got their old posts back. Then, in
due course of time, due to the upAyas they undertook they attained
mOksham. This history is clear from purANas. Thus, in matters such
as this, it is clear that moksham can be attained through an upAya
(either bhakti or prapatti) because of the already present
knowledge on vEdAnta .

 Thus Jaya and Vijaya who were being cursed, were dwArapAlakAs
 at Vishnu lOkam and not at SrI VaikuNTham. Some devotees didn't
 knew about the declaration of SwAmi dESikan regarding this issue
 and thought that this incident took place at Sri VaikuNTham,
 for PerumAL to just have a vyAjA(excuse) for incarnation. This
 reasoning was strongly based on the fact that there are nitya
 soorIs named Jaya and Vijaya, who are at Sri VaikuNTham
 as dwArapAlakas.

 Actually, Jaya and Vijaya at Sri VaikuNTham were not at all
 involved in this episode. They being nitya soorIs were serving
 PerumAL at Sri VaikuNTham. Vishnu lOkam has the exact replica
 of Sri VaikuNTham and the "post"/service of the gatekeeping
 was performed by two baddha jIvAtmAs. The name of the "post"
 got identified with their name ie. Since at SriVaikuNTham, the
 nitya soorIs Jaya and Vijaya serve as gatekeepers, any baddha
 jIvAtmA serving as gatekeepers in Vishnu lOkam are also called
 as Jaya and Vijaya.

 Lets take the example of Siva, Indra, Brahma etc. These are
 actually posts. A baddha jIvAtma will take these posts for a
 particular period and later on, that post will be occupied by
 some other baddha jIvAtma. Similarly , in the Vishnu lOkam,
 the dwArapAlaka kainkaryam ( Jaya and Vijaya) is a specific
 post obtained by certain exalted baddha jIvAtmas. Ofcourse, not
 all the posts in Vishnu lOkam be given to baddha jIvAtmAs. Here
 also nitya soorIs will be performing kainkaryams. We can't make
 any blanket statements that everyone at VishNu lokam are only
 baddha jIvAtmas.

   But a question naturally arises here : In the kArya
   vaikuNTham , exalted devotees perform the kainkaryam of gate
   keeping. Why then they have to suffer like that of being born
   in earth as HiraNyakaSipu and HiraNyAksha in Kruta yuga,
   RAvaNa and KumbhakarNa in trEta yuga, SisupAla and Dantavakra
   in dwApara yuga ?

   Answer : BhAgavatha apachAram to the rishis (Already answered).

   This BhAgavatha apachAram is made as a vyAja for perumAL to
   start His avatAra leelAs. NityasoorIs like AzhwArs demonstrated
   how a baddha jIvAtma should behave ; jaya & vijaya ( non-nitya
   sooris) in their three births demostrate in a way as to how a
   baddha should not behave. The bottomline is that PerumAL needs
   different roles for His fulfilment of avatAra leelAs. Such key
   roles are occupied by nitya soorIs, baddha jIvAtmas from kArya
   vaikuNTham etc.

  Finally, lets look into what Srimad BhAgavatham actually says
  regarding this issue :

  Sage NArada tells King YudhiSThira (7.1.36) :
  " yekadA brahmaNaha putrA vishNu lOkam yadrucchayA |
    sanandanAdayO jagmushcarantO bhuvanatrayam || "

  " Once upon a time, when the sons of (chatur mukha) Brahma,
    namely, Sanaka, Sanandana, SanAtana and Sanat-kumAra were
    traveling throughout the three worlds, they by chance came
    to _VishNu lOka_".

  Here it is explicitly told that Sanaka and others (who are not
  muktas yet) went to VishNu lOkam only. Also, when they are
  traveling inside the material world, they can't by chance enter
  Sri VaikuNTham.

  adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
  ananthapadmanAbha dAsan
  krishNArpaNam