Re: Sources for the pAncarAtra Series.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 21, 2000

As a North Indian who thinks that his convictions are approached most closely by Ubhaya Vedanta, I really appreciate the posts on Tamil works and also on the Pancharatras. This is because in contrast to the Sanskrit Vedanta works of the Sri Vaishnavas, the other two are not very accessible to us.

I have been learning a lot here, to my great delight. As a silent reader, I request you to continue Sri Vishnu's work on the list.

Tadbhakta Vishnobhaktaascha, tey vai bhagvatottamah | Narada Purana

Best

Vishal

Narasimhan Krishnamachari  wrote:

> SrI Krishna Kalale:
>
> As you might have noticed, I have titled the write-up
> as a "Review article".  It draws from several sources.
>  I have listed some of the major sources below:
>
> 1. Vol. 4 of the Agama Series by Kalpataru Research
> Academy, edited by Ramachandra Rao.
> 2. pAdma samhita - with foreward by Sudarsanam SrI
> Krishnaswamy Aiyengar.
> 3. Agama prAmANyam - General Editor A. N. Jani, Edited
> by M. Narasimhachary, 1976.
> 4. 4. SrI pAncarAtra rakshA of SrI vedAnta deSika -
> edited by M. Duraiswamy Aiyengar, with an Introduction
> by G. Srinivasa Murti
> 5. Agama PrAmANyam - Translation by J. A. B. van
> Buitenen
> 6. Agamas and South India Vaishnavism - I have only
> copy of Chapter X from someone, and do not have the
> author's name.  I will find it and share it later.
>
> I had a big question in my mind on whether to even
> share the info I gathered with the list or keep it to
> myself.  I just felt there may be enough readers in
> the list like me who would want to learn about the
> Agama-s at least a high level, and so I have tried to
> reflect the views expressed by many of the above
> writers without trying to add "my own views", even
> though inadvertently I might have done it. In general
> there has been no reaction from the list so far for
> the four parts I have submitted.  I don not know
> whether this means that the write-up is not adding
> much value, or too complex or something else.
>
> The request to Sri Krishna Kalale and the others in
> the list is to correct me where I am wrong, so that I
> can learn in the process.  I also would like advice in
> person or in public on whether I should continue the
> series, or whether there are enough differences in
> views that I may not be reflecting the "accepted
> views", and should stop it.  I have started a similar
> effort on the vaikhAnasa Agama, for which
> unfortunately I don't even have as many sources.
>
> -dAsan kRshNamAcAryan

> http://im.yahoo.com

>                   - SrImate raamaanujaaya namaH -
> Visit http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/ for more information

> eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bhakti-list

                  - SrImate raamaanujaaya namaH -

FreeLotto wants to give you a brand new Mazda Miata. Plus
tonight and every night you can win $1,000,000. Sign up
today to win! Drawing will be held on March 22, 2000. play for FREE!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2301/2/_/716111/_/953681381/

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=bhakti-list&m=1