You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : March 2000

Re: parisEshaNa mantram

From: Vijayaraghavan Srinivasan (
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 14:20:25 PST

Dear Shri Chandrasekaran:

I will share a little bit of what I know and have been able to retain from
what I have learned under the lotus feet of Navalpakkam Swamigal on
pariseshana mantras.

First you address the food "AsmAkam nityam astu Etat"

1. Om Bhurbhuvasuvaha: Sarva sAdhArana Prokshana Mantram for purifying the

2. Satyam tvA ruthEna ParishinchAmi:  Here the food is addressed as satyam.
I encircle you with 'rutham'.  These two words are often used in vEdAs.  For
eg.  Brhma Yagnyam etc.,  In the evening the address is reversed.  I recall
the meaning of rutham as righteousness.  Learned members please correct me.
3. amruta upastaranam asi; Be a 'lining' to the amrutam(i.e. the food)
4. amruta abhidAnam asi: Be a 'lid or cover' to the amrutam.

I am sure learned members will be able to add more on what adiyEn has been
able to provide and I will look forward to more info on this subject.

                  - SrImate raamaanujaaya namaH -
Visit for more information

Free Petopia T-Shirt with $20 Purchase!
Treat yourself to our free gift while treating your pet to Petopia
pleasers!  Click here for your free t-shirt with $20 minimum
merchandise purchase: Home: - Simplifying group communications