Re: aagamA-s

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 11, 2000

--- Mani Varadarajan
wrote:
> Sankaracharya would certainly have accepted the
> Pancaratra> entirely if it were part of the Vedic
samhita; he> would > have no choice in doing so, as he
is a Vaidika. On> the other> hand, he finds it
possible to reject its authority> in his> Brahma-Sutra
bhashya precisely because it is not> *part* of> the
Vedas, but an outside body of texts.
> Mani

Mani,
This is a very clever, very valid point. Adiyen
confesses I'd never thought of it before in that
angle!

According to you, Sankara's endorsement can be
regarded almost as a "litmus-test" to check if the
aagamA-s are Vedic or not! Applying this test, I
agree, the aagama will undoubtedly fail the "test" of
"Veda-centricity".

Which still leaves us with the question what business
we (all who like to believe we are adherents of true
Veda-Vedanta tradition) have inside a temple which is
'aagami-c' but can never be said to be genuinely
Vedic?

Food for thought!
Thanks,
dAsan,