Re: Vedic deities

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 2, 1999

Sri Ramakrishnan wrote:

> Anand Karalapakkam  wrote:
> > Our AchAryAs have declared that there does exist a dEvata
> > named "gAyatri" ie. a jIvAtma given the post of "gAyatri".

> I'd like to know what dhyAna shloka tradition Srivaishnavas recite
> after the kara and a.nga nyAsas before gAyatrI japam. For smArtas, it
> goes muktAvidru ... and describes the form of gAyatrI. If it is the
> same for Sri Vaishnavas, then Anands explanation would be the most
> natural.

Anand is correct and I am wrong.  The detailed sandhyA krama
for Sri Vaishnavas also includes the 'muktAvidru' sloka as part
of the gAyatrI dhyAnam.

By the way, this is recited before gAyatrI AvAhanam ('ayAtu varadA devi')
and consequently before anga-nyAsa and kara-nyAsa.

Another sloka is recited right after 'muktAvidru...'. It is
'arkamaNDala-madhyastham sUryakoTisamaprabham |
 brahmAdi-sevyapAdAbjam naumi brahma ramAsakham ||'

Mani