Re: prapatti

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 2, 1999

Sri Vishnu wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 Sri Venktesh K. Elayavalli wrote:
> >
> > Second, most acharyas require all Sri Vaishnavas to go through various
> > stages of life, such as brahmachari, marriage and procreate, provide
> > for the children's education, etc before  taking up Prapatti. For
>
>         Is it for performing prapatti or taking sannyAsam?
>
>                                                              Vishnu

Venkatesh must have miswrote. In our sampradAya,
one should go through the various stages of life
before taking sannyAsa.  Exception is made for
those who are particularly detached from the world.
Sri Rangapriya Swami and the vartamAna (present)
Parakala Matha Swami were brahmacharis when
they took the sannyAsa ashrama.

Prapatti, on the other hand, has no restriction as
to time, place, or condition of the individual.
It is only conditioned on the person to whom the
surrender is done, i.e., one should surrender only
to God.  Any thing, in any state, can take refuge
with the Lord at any time, be it an animal, child,
woman, or man.

Mani