Re: Desika, nyaasa tilakam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 19, 1998

Dear Sri Mani Varadarajan :

The slokam of interest to you is the 30th
slOkam of Sri Nyaasa Tilakm , which shines as
the Tilakm on the forehead of Sri RanganathA .

In this prapatthi grantham , Swami Desikan elaborates
thru 32 slokams , what he covered succinctly
in Nyasasa Dasakam and Nyaasa Vimsathi.

In the 29th slOkam , Swami Desikan declared his
determination not to approach any other "Gods " ,
while Sri RanganathA was there to protect him .
He said " tvayi sathi --paimitha desa kaala
paladhAn paladhAkruthikAn Vidhi Siva pramukAn
katham adhikurmahE ? " He declared his disinterest
this way : While You stay there at Srirangam as
the embodiment of KaruNA for SaraNAgathAs , why
would we run after other "god " as Brahmaa ,
SivA etal for their limited blessings ? You are the One ,
who empowers them even those limited blessings
circumscribed by time and desam .Hence , We will
perfrom SaraNAgathi at Your sacred feet ALONE to gain
the permanent sukham of Moksham .

In the 30th slOkam , Swami Desikan comes out with
his request for the boon of Moksham :

Om ithi abhyupagamya Ranga NrupathE
  ananyOchithAm sEshathAm
SvAtanthra aadhi mayeem apOhya mahatheem
  aadhyAma vidhyA sthithim I
nithyAsankhya viseema bhUthi guNayO :
  yaayaamanayAsatha :
sEvA sampadham IndirEsa yuvayO:
  eikAnthi aathyanthikeem II

The salutations  are for the IndirEsan
( the Lord of MahA Lakshmi ) and then to
the King of Srirangam ( Ranga Nrupathi ) .

Both are saluted as " Nithya asankhya viseema
bhUthi gunayO : YuavayO : " (i-e) the couple
with the everlasting  and limitless auspiciousness
and benovolent attributes .

The boons sought from these divya dampathis are :

1 . Boon of everlasting servitude (sEshathvAm
BASED NITHYA KAIMKARYAM )to the Lord and Periya Piraatti ,
which does not become appropriate for anyone else
( ananya uchithAm sEshathAm ).It does not
fit with anyone else .

2. Their granting of the above request
and acceptance of his saraNAgathi
( Om ithi abhyupagamya ) with the
statement : Let that become so !
Swami requests the divya dampathis
to say , let it be so ! Please say that " We are accepting
your BharanyAsam . It is our duty to
protect you " .

3. Removal of the great aj~nAnam of long standing
nature that made Swami Desikan think that
he is an independent entity before( svAthantrya aadhi
mayeem aadhyAm mahatheem avidhyA sthithim apOhya )

4. The exact prayer for the Boon is :" eikAnthika
aathyanthikeem sEvA sampadham anAyasatha: yayAm " .
I seek the nithya kaimkarya Sri that belongs to
You both alone , which I wish to gain without
parama prayAsam ( anAyaasatha: ) . Because of Your
Omnipotence and the apAra KaruNA , I will realize
effortlessly the boon of nithya kaimkarya bhAgyam
at Sri Vaikuntum to serve You both .This is
the MahA VisvAsam aspect of the SaraNAgathi .

I am the adiyEn to both of You .I do not belong to
no one else . I have fully understood now this
dependence on You both as Your sEshan ( sEshathva
JN~Anam ) .The ahankAram (Me) and the mamakAram
( mine) are gone  now and I have broken thru with
Your grace ,the dark cloud that surrounded me for
the longest of times , which made me think that I am an
independent entity .There is no limit to your vibhUthis and
KalyANa guNAs .They shine forth eternally .To such an
illustrious Divya Dampathis , I long to offer my
service without let in Your permanent abode of Sri Vaikuntam
effortlessly . May Thou accept my prayer and say " be it so "
and grant me the boon dearest to me as Your sEsha bhUthan .

The 31st slOkma is an elaboration of this prayer
to the divya dampathis and the 32nd and concluding
slOkam of NyAsa Tilakam is a pala sruthi that states
that those who recite NyAsa Tilakam will be blessed with
Kainkaryam here on Earth at Srirangam and as well as
at Sri Vaikuntam at the end of their mortal lives .

Swami Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan