Re: Bhishma-stuthi-1

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 4, 1997

Dear Bhagawathas,

I read all the three parts of this Bhisma-stuthi.  The translation of the
stuthi itself is excellent and written in Sri M.K. Sudarshan's usual unique
rich style.  I am a great admirer of Bhisma's character who has another
great work to his credit : The Vishnu Sahasranama.

Regarding Antima Smriti I would like to make a comment. If you have
noticed, the antimasmrti (remembrance of Narayana when dying) is advised
and is sort of a must for a Bhakti Yogi (traditional Bhakti yoga - as per
Srimad Bhagawad Gita and not just Gaouna Bhakti - or ordinary Bhakti;  Some
folks may be confused regarding the difference between these two concepts).
 In fact, Bhisma being a bhakti Yogi, himself waited for several days on
the bed of arrows for the Uttarayana Punya kala to appear and then left his
body meditating on Lord Krishna.  Bhakti yogi has to leave his body only in
uttarayana so that he will pass through sun's orb to Vaikunta. (As per some
reference in SRimad Rahasyatraya Sara : niryanadhikara.  (Kausitaki
Upanisad adds some more issues to this topic).

The key feature for a prapanna is that he does not have to necessarily work
for or aim to have antimasmrti of Lord Narayana.  This should not be
mistaken for one need not care for Narayana anymore; only that it is not
obligatory on the part of a prapanna to have antimasmrti for prapatti to
work. Even a prapanna can and probably try to  do "nama samkirtanam or
sahasranama japa etc. to constantly remember Narayana.  On the otherhand
for a Bhaktiyogi, Antimasmriti is a must.  Jada Bharata, who was a great
yogi could not attain Lord in his penultimate birth, since he started
getting attached to a deer in his last days and had to take a birth as a
deer before finally attaining God.  There is a verse in Srimad Bhagawadgita
in reference to this topic:

 yam yam vaapi smaran bhavam tyajyatyante kalebaram
tam tam eva eti kaunteya sada tad bhava bhavitah
tasmat sarvesu kaleshu maam anusmara yudhya cha
mayyarpita mano budhhih maam evaishyasi asamsayam

translation:

"Oh Kaunteya (Arjuna), one will attain the very same form, whichever, one
thinks of, when dying; Hence, remember me always and fight too; Having
offered your mind and intellect, you will certainly attain me.

 Note: The above verse applies to bhaktiyogis and others. it should be
noted that most of bhagawadgita does not specifically address prapatti
except in the carama sloka.  In fact Sri Ramanuja aptly states :
bhakti yogam avatarayamasa, in his Gitabhasya, which, in my opinion
(several others) is the clearest and most exact bhasya on Srimad Bhagawad
Gita.  I formed this opinion after deeply researching several bhasyas on
srimadbhagawadgita in the last 18 years!(thanks to all my gurus : Sri
Sampath Iyengar and 44th Jeer of Ahobila Mutt) and not because I belong to
srivaishnava community. Incidentally, Sri Uttamoor Viraraghavacharya has
written an analysis of other bhasyas on Srimad Bhagawadgita, in his
introduction to Gitabhasya with Tatparya Candrika.  This work is a
masterpiece and I got to read it, just recently and I have translated a
good fraction of this work. It is so amazing that the amount of
understanding I got with so many years of work I put in,  in understanding
Srimad Bhagawadgita was sort of made to appear insignificant in comparison
to the precise summary given in this article. (someday I will publicize
this translation).  SORRY FOR GOING ON A TANGENT!

Srimathe Srivan Satagopa Sri Vedanta Desika Yateendra Mahadesikaya Namaha
Srimathe Sri Lakshmi Nrisimha Divya Paduka Sevaka Srivan Satagopa Sri
Narayana Yateendra Mahadesikaya Namaha.

Adiyen
Krishna Kalale
619-658-5612 (phone)