Re: Vedas and Archai

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 29, 2001

--

On 28 Jun 2001 11:18:05 -000
 bhakti-list wrote:

>Message: 1
>   Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:57:10 -0700 (PDT)
>   From: TCA Venkatesan
>Subject: Vedas and Archai
>
>Dear Bhaktaas,
>
>I have a question about the Vedas and archai form
>of worship.
>
>In the avathaarikai for amalanaadipiraan, Sri
>Azhagiya Manavalap Perumal Nayanar says that the
>Vedas touch upon the archaa rUpam of the Lord
>even while immersed in talking about His paratvam.
>I have also heard that vEdaantins from other
>schools of thought state that the Vedas do not
>talk about His archaa form.

Srimad venkata Lakshmana yativaraya namah.
Om namo Venkatesaya.

Srimadanantarya Mahagurave Namah.

Dear Sriman venkatesan,

There is a direct reference to thiruvengadamudaiyan in rugveda, quoted by Sri Ramanuja in his argument with Saivas reg. the identity of the Lord of the hill.
We find this in the very first chapter of SrIvEnkatAchalEtihAsamAlA of SrI ananthALwAn.

The mantra is:

arAyikANE vikatE girim gaccha sadAnvE
Sirim biTasya sattvabhih tE(a)bhishtvA chAtayAmasi

This mantra advises the chEtana to go to the hill where parama purusha has pirAtti seated on His chest, for the chEtana's spiritual enlightenment.

In similar words, Bhavishyottara purANa confirms that the "giri" here in this mantra refers to pannagAchalam (SEshAdri).

This may be one of the reasons for SrI bhAshyakAra to start SrI BhAshya with a refernce to SrInivAsa, as He has a mention in the vEdas (Sruti Sirasi vidIptE brahmaNi SrInivAsE)-- i am just guessing.

We find SrI Bhashyakara's detailed commentary to this vEda mantra in SrI anandANbiLLai's work.

dAsAnudAsan
Srimahavishnu Vinjamuri

"acchapu vEduka thOda ananthALuwAri mucchili pettiki mannu mOchina vAdu" -- annamAchArya

>Does this mean that there are no direct references
>in the Vedas to archa roopam, and it is our acharyas
>interpretations that certain passages in the Vedas
>speak of this form? If that is the case, can anyone
>help me identify those specific passages and our
>acharya interpretations of the same. If not, please
>help me with the specific statements that do talk
>about the archaa rUpam.
>
>If there is any book or article talking about the
>same, I would be glad to get the reference. Thanks.
>
>adiyEn madhurakavi daasan
>TCA VenkatEsan

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!