Re: the significance of avatars

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 18, 2001

Dear Sir:

(vitesse_iyengar@yahoo.co.in) wrote:
>   The scriptures mention that God assumes various
> manifestations from time to time to protect
> "virtuous people".Also the Bhagwad  Gita  says..
>          	 yada yada hi dharmasya glanir bhavati
> bharaata
> 	 	 abyuthanam adharmasya tada atmanam srjamyaham
> 	    	 paritrnaya sadhunam vinashaya cha dushkrutaam
> 		 dharma samsthapanarthaya sambhavami yuge yuge
> my question is why should Lord come down to punish the
> "evil" ?
> Can't he do it from vaikuntam itself..by his mere
> sankalpa?

Your question is very valid. He could have done it very
easily.He does not do like that because while trying to kill
the adharmam, he also has tried to show how Human Beings have
to upheld values in life to reach his abode, as he did with
Rama Avatara(obeying Parents' words), Parasurama (Listened to
Father's words), and also in line with the boons that Asuras
enjoyed, like Hirayan can only be killed by some superior being
which is not a living, non-living thing, this that etc..

The question that you  have posted actually relates to His
Avatara Rahasya too.

If you could read the verses that precede and follow the verse
you have stated from Gita, He says the following to Arjuna's
questions:

1. He assumes body in his avatara which is true(like Human
Being)
2. His Body is always called Tirumeni, which does not loose its
charm by taking any form, unlike ordinary human body
3. He does not loose His Qualities whenever and wherever he is
born. This can be known from Alwar's Anubavam of Varaha
Peruman, TiruVikraman, Narasimhan etc..
4. Whenever there is Adharmam, He comes into this world in some
form to kill it.
5. Finally, to protect the People who uphold Dharmam, He comes
to the world to protect them.(Parithranaya Saadhunam.. verse)

I have few more thoughts on this topic which I am not able to
exress in words now, but will write them too.

Pardon me if there is any mistake,

Thank very much,

Adiyen,
Ramanan Rajagopalan
 iruppidam vaikundham vEnkatam * mAlirunchOlaiyennum
poruppidam mAyanuk enbar nallOr * avai thannodum van
thiruppidam mAyan irAmAnusan manathinRavan van
thiruppidam * enRan idhayaththuLLE thanakkinpuRavE.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag