Re: Cadambi | Kidambi

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 13, 2001

Dear BhakthAs: This information might be of
interest to you.Sri Cadambi Sampath wanted to
know more about Sri Cadambi Aacchaan .
V.Sadagopan

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:38:39
To: cadambi srinivasan sampath
From: Sadagopan
Subject: Re: Cadambi  | Kidambi

Dear Sri Sampath:

Yes, the name arises from
KidAmbi AacchAn . Over the years ,
it has been spelt as either KidAmpi or KidAmbi or
CadAmbi AacchAn .

He lived from 1057-1157 CE and is a descendant
of AtrEya Gothra. He was an ardent sishyar of
AchArya RaamAnujA and a great scholar in VisishtAdvaitha
VedAntham. AchArya RaamAnujA honored his scholarship by
conferring on him the title of VedAntodayana .He lived
20 years more after the ascent of AchArya RaamAnujA to
parama Padham.

Swamy Desikan refers to him in Srimath Rahasya Thraya
Saaram in Chapter 32 and KumAra VaradAcchAr refers to him
in his AdhikaraNa ChinthAmaNi ,  a commentary on
his father's AdhikaraNa SaarAvaLI(verse 24).

Kidambi AacchAn is the nephew of the wife of
Thirumalai Nampi . He was at Thirumalai at
his atthimbhEr's house , when PiLLAN was born
to Thirumalai Nampi dampathis. PiLLAn during his
childhood never laughed or cried like other children .
PiLLAn was listening steadfast , whenever the KaalakshEpam
on Dhivya Prabhandham took place . After PiLLan's
Upanayanam , Thirumalai Nampi entrusted his son
to KidAmpi AacchAn  to become the disciple of
AchArya RaamAnuja , the nephew of Thirumalai nampi.
AchArya RaamAnujA accepted KidAmpi Aacchan as His
sishyan as well and instructed him on all SaasthrArthams.
Kidampi AachhAn took great interest in serving his AchAryan.

There was a time , when jealous Koil kaimkaryaparALs
at Srirangam tried to poison AchArya RaamAnujA . That
attempt failed due to the intervention of Sri RanganAthan.
Periya Nampi and ThirukkOttiyUr nampi were alarmed,
when they heard about this incident and rushed to
Srirangam . AchArya RaamAnujA rushed to meet His Gurus
as they crossed the sands of Cauvery river in mid day's
heat.AchArya RaamAnujA fell down at the feet of his AchAryAs
and kept on offering his prostrations. Kidaampi AacchAn
was standing next to prostrating AchArya RaamAnujA and
could not stand the weakening of the body of his AchAryan.
He criticized Periya Nampi and ThirukkOshtiUr Nampi
for not stopping AchArya RaamAnujan from repeated
prostrations and embraced AchArya RaamAnujan to protrect
him from the mid-day heat. ThirukkOshtiUr Nampi said then to
AacchAn: " My dear KidAmpi AacchAn! we were testing to see
if there is anyone , who is dear to RaamAnujan . You are
the One . We want you to protect RaamAnujan from any
further danger . We appoint you to prepare Bikshai from
now on for RaamAnujan and he should not go out to get
Bhikshai from here on". KidAmpi AaacchAn accepted
the niyamanam (Command) of the AchAryans of RaamAnujA
with pleasure and came to be known as MadapaLLi AacchAn
because of his unique MadapaLLI Kaimkaryam for AchArya RaamAnjuA .
Our SamprahdAyam is therefore known as MadapaLLI
Vazhi Vantha SampradhAyam .

KidAmpi AacchAn's works are no longer available to us.

Srimath Azhagiya Singar ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan