RE: aatma saakshaatkaaram

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 6, 2001

Dear sri sadananda,

Obviously,  there is an underlying question in gita which should be asked
first.

As per gita is there a difference between atman and ishwara?  If not why
not? If so why?

And as per Upanishads the same question needs to be answered.

This is the first question before coming to the second listed below.

You will really enjoy the book on upanisads which compare all commentaries
on these questions.  Obviously one needs detailed “contemplation” to assess
these issues since we are talking about comparing stalwarts in the field.  I
think sms chari has done an excellent “objective” non biased work.  However,
many may disagree with him based on the backgrounds.  But I can assure
everyone that if one disagrees, it will be a very tough job to answer why
one disagrees on objective grounds!

Please do call him at 760-747-7577 . He will be here in san diego till this
weekend.  If you plan the events early enough you can get him to Washington
dc. by organizing a group of people to chip in.  I had arranged several
talks in Sri Ranganatha Temple, Pomona, with the help of the board of Sri
Ranganatha Seva Samithi.

1.	comparitive estimate of three schools of Vedanta
2.	gita , its essence
3.	thiruppavai

You can choose any topic you want and ask the local people to pitch in or
even make a New Jersey / NY  combined with Washington DC tristate area trip
if you want.

One thing is for certain, scholars like SMS Chari are very rare.  His
approach, particularly on the aspect of “fairness” to all systems of Vedanta
while evaluating them, makes him stand out.  Obviously his medium of speech
being English helps.

Adiyen Krishna