Re: kapAla-mOksham

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 30, 2000

Sri Chandrasekaran has done well to seek the clarification on the name
'anna-pooraNee'.   He has cited two texts to identify the name as that of
pArvati-dEvi, viz.
< the slOkA which goes as "annapUrNE sadhA pUrNE..." and ends as
<"bhikshAm dhEhI cha pArvathI mAtha" ...
and

Subject: Re: kapAla-mOksham

Dear Bhagawathas,
I have a doubt regarding annapUrnI of vArANasi. I have come across
atleast two instances of slOkAs/compositions on Sri annapUrNI which
connotes that the dEvi is Sri pArvathi. Please don't mistake me. I am
not trying to start an argument in this regard. This is just an
attempt to clear my long doubt.
One instance is the slOkA which goes as "annapUrNE sadhA pUrNE Sankhara prANa
vallabhE ....." and ends as "bhikshAm dhEhI cha pArvathI mAtha" ...
Another instance is a dIkshitar krithi in sAma rAgam. The anupallavi vAkhyam
goes as "pannagAbharaNa rAgni purANi paramESwari viSwESwari bhAskari"
and charaNam ends as "guruguha sAdharE".. May be knowledgeable members
can comment on the inner meanings behind these two instances.

Thanks for your understanding.  adiyEn,  chandrasekaran.

--- In bhakti-list@egroups.com, Tssundararajan@a... wrote:
> The gesture of Sri ananta-padmanAbha-p-perumAL patting the 'lingam'
> representation of  rudra-dEva is explained in the ' tiru-vAi-mozhi ' decad
>("keDum iDAr Aya-vellAm kESavA enna !") . The episode ( ' aitihyam ' ) is
> narrated in extenso in the padma-purANam.
>
> As it goes, rudra-dEva had, in rage, yanked off one of the heads of
> brahma-dEva and forthwith caught the ' fratricide' curse of '  brahma-hatyA
'.
> The skull ( ' brahma-kapAlam ' ) stuck to his hand and Sri kESava got
> Sri-dEvi to drop alms of rice into the skull, and the skull fell off,
>thus ending the agony of rudra-dEva.
>
> The Lord's grace was manifested in vAraNAsi, where there is a
>not-well-known shrine dedicated to Sri kESava, and where Sri-dEvi is known
>as ' anna-pooraNee '.   The spot where the skull dropped off is known
>(even to-day) as ' kapAl-mOksh ' ghAT in vAraNAsi.

>AzhvAr has recalled the episode in the lines
>
> "kumaranAr tAtai-tunnbam tuDaitta emm gOvindanArE !"  and
>
> "kapAla-nan-mOkkattu-k kaNDu-koNminn !"
>
> This episode is also commemorated in the name of the Lord,
> hara-SApa-mOchana-p-perumAL in tiru-viNNARRan-karai in the
> outskirts of tanjAvUr, a corruption of the Tamil word
> ' tanjam ' (= refuge) granted to > rudra-dEva.   The tAyAr  is named '
tanjam ' .

> aDiyEn rAmAnuja-dAsan, tirumanjanam Sundara Rajan.
>
> Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:16:56 -0000
>    From: DeeMurali@y...
> Subject: Anantha Padhmanabha Swamy
>
> Devareer,
>
> I need clarification from the learned Bhavathals of this sadhas
> regarding the statue of Lingam found under the palm of
> Sri Anantha Padhmanabha Swamy moorthis. What is the aidheeham behind it?
>
> Adiyen,  > Muralidharan Desikachari.

**BELIEFNET SHOPPING**  Save $20 at the Beliefnet store! Thousands of
religious and spiritual gifts and products. Now- get $20 off purchases
of $50 or more through July 10.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5591/5/_/716111/_/962385557/