Re: THIRUMANN

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 20, 2000

Hi,
If you search in the bhakthi archives you will have a lot on Thirumann and
especailly Sri Sadagopan has answered the question as to why the Lord wears
ThirumaN in the Sept 95 archives.
I am cutting and pasting it for your information.
Though I couldn't find answers for your second question.

-Harini

>From Sri Sadagopan
------------------
Why the Lord Wears ThirumaN?

Ramanuja is also known as Godhagraja or the elder  to Andaal based on an
incident that happpened at Thirumaaliruncholai ( Offering of the 1000
vessels of
Akkaravadisal on behalf of Aandal). Ramanuja is also known as Thiuppavai
Jeeyar,
because of the joy that he experienced in reciting Thiruppavai Verses and
the
reverence he had for the Philosophy of Aandal. She , unlike other Azhwars
reminded Her Lord of his duties and  awakened from his slumber (Yoga nidra).
She
reminded her Lord about his sworn duties to rescue the tormented Jeevans and
interceded on their behalf. Ramanuja in the spirit of Andaal might have put
the
ThirumaN on the Lord to remind Him of His duties to use his  weapons to come
the rescue of the Jeevans. I think however the practise of wearing ThirumaN
goes
to a time much before Ramanuja.

In conclusion, it can be said that Lord wears Thiruman not as His Lotus feet
on
His forehead , but as an indication of the power of his weapons and His
presence
in every one of the directions to protect His devotees. When the Vaishnavas
wear
the Pundrams , they consider their body as being protected by His weapons
and as
a temple for the Divine Couple. Thus , there  are two separate  reasons for
the
ThirmaN wearing by the Lord and His devotees.

Sadagopan