Re: [Pre-Ramanuja status]

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 8, 2000

Dear Sir,

You have mentioned that {"Ramanujar himself was born into a VaDamAL family
that followed Yajur Veda"}. May I request you to kindly quote authentic
history or Sampradaaya vishayam with the actual quotations of our
Aacharyas (preceptors) in this regard. Please include the references
while quoting regarding the same.

Thanks & Regards
M.S.HARI Ramanuja Dasan

schakrav@gators.de.sc.ti.com wrote:

>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative
Dear bhaktas:

Earlier I'd mentioned that most Mandya Srivaishnavas were originally
Jains under King Bittideva of HoyasaLa.  Regardless of the truth of
this statement, no "corollary" was intended.  We know that Ramanujar
himself was born into a VaDamAL family that followed Yajur Veda.  Some
of the Azhwars were also Saivites or Jains, prior to their entering the
Vaishnavite fold.  It all goes to show, that one's beginnings do not
necessarily determine one's entire lifespan and legacy.  Some of the
Mandya Srivaishnavas today are known to be the most faithful followers
of Ramanuja sampradayam.

Truly
-Srinath Chakravarty
email: xsrinath@ti.com