Re:who or what a nitya suri is?.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 8, 2000

At 09:01 AM 6/5/00 -0400, you wrote:

>Could some of the learned members of this group
explain the real
meaning of
>who or what a "nitya-suri" is, the root of the word
and why one would
be
>called a "nitya-suri" ?
>Regards,
>Raja Krishnasamy

Dear Bhagavatha,
                nitya suris are "Seers who always
see",
i.e suri means seers or persons who see the reality as
it is(isvara,cit and acit) and nitya means "always,
without any break".
The pramana for this is the sastra,which says"Sada
pasyanti surayah" i.e "The seers always see".
The word "sada or always" differentiates these souls
from other souls classified as muktha atmas(released
souls,which at some point of time was a bound soul)
and
Baddha atmas(or souls bound to prakriti).

Following are the implications of "nitya suris" :-
1.They are never bound by karma.
2.As their Dharma bhuta gnana(attributive
consciousness) is never concealed,they always see the
reality i.e sriman narayana,the Brahman with the cit
and acit as his attribuites or modes.
3.They are totally and forever absorbed in their
object  of love i.e sriman narayana and sriman
narayana out of his infinite love towards these souls
sees to it they always see him and never miss him.

Examples of nitya suris are
adishesha,Garuda,visvaksena etc.

Just as we accept from sastra that Lord sriman
narayana is the controller of karma and never comes
under its sway,similarly from the same sastra we
should accept
that there are souls though similar to us in reality
are never bound by karma because a question such as
"Why it is given to some souls to be nitya suris and
others otherwise?.", can also be asked.

Hope this satisfies your query.

sri krishnaarpanamasthu
Suresh B.N.