Re: Bodily health

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 21, 1999

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Dear Sri Lakshmanan:

Thank you very much for your quick and thoughtful response. I agree that
it is ones duty to take care of the sarIram given by Him. But how far does
one go? For example, if one finds out that one needs an open heart
surgery or even a heart transplant to prevent a possible cardiac disease
should one undergo that? Does our sampradayam accept organ donation or
acceptance? The other points that come to my mind include whether in
critical conditions, its okay to keep a person from dying on life
support? These are some of the questions I would like to see addressed
although I may not have posed it correctly in the first place.

Thank you once again.

Regards

Sriranganayaki - Ramanuja Dasi

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Gopaul Lakshmanan wrote:

> SrImatE Gopala DesikAya nama:
> Sri:
>
> Priya Srivaishnavas:
>
> The "sarIram" is given by HIM.  So, every one has to take care of it.
> Whether one is ugly or beautiful, one has to maintain the body free from
> afflictions.  Otherwise, you are destroying HIS property.
>
> Preventive health care is largely unknown in India and unavailable to the
> majority.  In industrially advanced countries it is available.  I feel one
> should use it.
>
> This is my opinion only.
>
> adiYen dAsan
> Lakshmanan