You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : July 1999

Re: VisishtAdvaitA

From: Mani Varadarajan (mani_at_be.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 12:05:53 PDT

Murali Kadambi wrote:
> However just as Sankara's philosophy can also been called mAyA vAda and
> Madhwa's has been variously called bhEda vAda and tattva vAda, I wonder
> what vAda, RAmAuja' philosophy is called?  may be sareerAtma-brahma
> vAda?  I don't know.

I have seen Ramanuja's system described as 'saviSesha-brahma-vAda',
(one that teaches that Ultimate Reality as attributes), or simply
'viSishtAdvaita-vAda'.

The term viSishtAdvaita is first seen in the works of Sudarsana
Suri and Vedanta Desika (13th-14th centuries), and even there only
in their secondary works.

Mani