Re: pursuit of wealth

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 12, 1999

SrI:
SrI Lakshminrusimha ParabrahmaNE namaha
SrI Lakshminrusimha divya pAdukA sEvaka SrIvaN-
SatakOpa SrI nArAyaNa yateendra mahAdESikAya namha

 Dear SrI Mani,
  namO nArAyaNA.

Sri Mani Varadarajan wrote:

> I had written:
> > Is this still practical? Could Desika have survived
> > today? (What few disciples he had certainly couldn't have
> > given him enough money to pay the rents in San Francisco!)
>
> To which Anand replies:
> >   It is irrelevant to talk about avatAra purushAs like SwAmi
> >   dESikan in this context. avatAra purushAs does not appear
> >   and suffer for their survival ...
>
> Sigh. We can never have a reasonable discussion if we
> get sidetracked by these theological issues.

  adiyEn would like to clarify here.  Probably you mistook the point.
 adiyEn feels that we will certainly have a reasonable discussion
   and whatever adiyEn wrote is not sidetracking.

   adiyEn's point was only on the applicability of the question
   for an avatAra purusha.  adiyEn is not against your good
   discussion point. The path shown by SwAmi dESikan
   can very much be followed and for adiyEn, the question is like
   " Can one with such determination, vairAgyam etc as that exhibited
     by swAmi dESIkan live peacefully now ". This issue has been well
    discussed by many devotees and they have posted excellent articles.

> To Venkat and Anand: I do not contest your right to believe
> that Desika, Ramanuja, and others are anointed nitya-sUris.
> I, on the other hand, believe that they were human beings
> who rose above samsAra through the power of the Lord's grace.
> Please permit me the right to believe this in trying to
> understand how they lived their lives.
>
> If discussions based on the latter are not interesting to
> you, please be patient and ignore them.

 We are not  forcing others to accept the views posted here, which
 are in accordance with the current day AchAryAs views as well.
 We never mentioned that the discussions are not interesting. But,
  one should also be ready to read the views of others, esp. when
  it is that of current day AchAryas , instead of asking them to
  keep quiet and ignore the discussion. We hope that whatever
  we posted was within the spirit of the discussion.

  Hope that this clarifies the intention of such postings and resolves
  any misunderstanding.

  adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
  ananthapadmanAbha dAsan
  krishNArpaNam