You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : July 1998

Re: words for "father" in Tamil

From: Shreyas Sarangan (sarangan_at_eng.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 13:59:07 PDT

My maternal grandfather refers to his late father as "aNNa".
(This really used to confuse me as to whom he was talking about :)

Though originally from Srirangam, his family had settled
in Malleswaram, Bangalore, atleast two generations before
his. I've always been curious to which community
(geographic?) this could have been characteristic of.
Interestingly, my mamas (maternal uncles) address him as
"appa" only.

About me.... I use "appa".

 -Shreyas