Possible reference to Jatayu in Sri Aandal's Thiruppavai

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 26, 1997

Dear Sri KrishNaswAmy NaarAyaNan :

Thanks very much for your note on possible Jatayu
Sambhandham in ThiruppAvaipaasurams . As per your request ,
I am advising Sri mani VaradarAjan about your wish
to become a member of the Bhakthi private mailing
list . He is the owner  of this private list and
has to approve your request .

He may need a small introductory note about yourself
to introduce you to the other members. His userid
is Mani@srirangam.be.com/ please send it to him
at the above  address .

Regarding your anubhavam of passages in Thiruppavai
verses 6 and  13 , you are correct regarding the
intrepretations that you have come across so far in
the commentaries of PoorvAchAryALs .

In the sixth paauram , the reference is to PeriyAzhwAr ,
the GarudAmsar. The reference is to Mahans like him
and also to the episode in the Ithihasam that has been
used in intrepreting the Brahma SUtram ( 1.3.33 ) according
to Sri P.B.AnnangarAcchAr Swamy . There was once a dhArmikar
by the name of Jaana Sruthi .Although he was generous with
his materail wealth , he did not have the wealth of
Brahma J~nAnam . Two great sages took the form of hamsams
and flew over his balcony and conversed in such a way that
Jaana Sruthi could understand them . They made it known to
latter that there was a sage by the name of Raigvar , who had
the richest spirtiual wealth , although he had not much
of material wealth in contrast to Jaana Sruthi . Latter
understood his spiritual poverty and rushed to the side
of Raigvar and took refuge at his feet and acquired
Brahma J~nAnam . Hamsam as a class of birds stand for
the acquisition of Brahma J~nAnam . This is reminded
here for those at the dawn of their spiritual awakening
by use of the words , " PuLLUm Silambina KaaNN " .
Birds also stand for AchAryAs in AzhwAr's paasurams,
where they send the birds as messengers to Sriman NaarAyaNA
( Thirumangai and NammAzhwAr ) .

The reference is also to " Parasparam Bhodayanthi "aspect ,
where the Mahans ( birds ) mutually remind each other
about the sacredness of the hour to celebrate the
Lord of Garudan presiding at His temple.

Regarding the passage in Verse 13 , " PuLLIn vaai
keendAnai , pollA arakkanai kiLLIkkaLaindAnai --" ,
the traditional intrepretation has been about
the incidents that you referred to in KrishNAvathAram
and RamAvatharam. Other members may have some
additional thoughts on it .

With best wishes ,
V.Sadagopan