pAdukA-sahasram

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 1, 1997

Dear Sri T.S. SundararAjan:

Thanks very much for your encouragement
to publish the meanings/commentary appearing
in our Bhakthi list on Sri RanganAtha
PaadhukhA Sahasram(RPS)in a book
format , if such an effort has not been undertaken
already . To the best of my knowledge , there is
no English rendering-cum gloss on RPS today.

The Commentaries of the late Abhinava Desika ,
Sri Uttamoor SwamigaL and that of NammANdavan/
Aakkoor AaNdavn in Tamil are the only ones that I
know off . Actually , I am using them as references
and blending their complimenatary points of views
to pay reverence to the two AchArya ParamparAs
and their sampradhAic views and presenting them
in a way that will be easier for us to appreciate
the extraordinary genius of Swami Desikan
and his  reverence for NammAzhwAr .

If Lord RanganAthA wills , the task of releasing
these postings in a cogent format with slokams in
the DevanAgari script and the careful transliteraton
of the Roman alphabets with diacriticals as well as
inclusion of the aruLiccheyal pAsurams in Tamil
would all fall in place.

I have completed the first draft of translations
of the 1008 verses already . The version included
in the current postings constitute the next version
that blends the AaNdavan Aasramam view points with
those of Uttamoor SwamigaL's sampradhAyam .

The slokams of Chithra Paddhathi , Nirvdha
Paddhathi and the Pala paddhthi are deep in
meaning . It is going to take some time to cover
them to the best of my ability .

May the Divya MaNi PaadhukhAs of Sri RanganAthA
and Hayagreeva Bhagavan guide me further and
bring the kaimkaryam to an auspicious conclusion .

V.Sadagopan