Re: Doubt on Brahma Shabdam!

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 27, 2002

I had raised this question in the list a couple of years back,
probably more than once, and do not recall getting responses.    This
has been a question that has occupied my thought for quite some
time.  I am aware of three supports so far, even though I do not have
the supports handy to include them in this mail.  One is by SrI
aNNa'ngarAcArya svAmi, where he argues for brahmA.  The other
is "daivattin kuRal", where kA'nci maThAdhipati SrI Sankaracharya
that preceded the current maThAdhipati, supports "brahmA".  I am told
there is a book that has been published after extensive research by
one of the Indian Universities (may be Allahabad University), where
they conclude that bramhA is the correct pronunciation.  I have
talked to a samskRt scholar who lived in Toronto a few years back,
and he supported bramhA as well.  I used to have the article by
aNNa'ngarAcArya svAmi in my possession, but am unable to locate the
copy right now.  I have the copy of "daivattin kuRal", and can dig
out the reference.  I do not have access to the research publication
by the Indian University, but a learned scholar from India who is
visiting the U.S. now informed me that he has seen the book, and I am
trying to get a copy of the book.

I would like to request that when responses are provided for this, if
possible the person responding may kindly include the support on
which they base their response.

-dAsan kRshNamAcAryan

--- In bhakti-list@y..., "Lakshmi Narasimhan Venkatapathy"