Re: QUALITY of a srivaishnavan - Sri Visu's comments

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 7, 2002

Srimathe Ramanujaaya Namaha:
I don't understand much of what has been said in this thread due to
my agyana(ignorance). But I would just like to add one thing. Azhwar
says - "NETRIYIL NINDRU ENNAI AALUM NIRAI MALARPPAADANGAL SOODI".
Just wearing the thiruman the lotus feet of emberuman is good enough
that will automatically lead to him. Even if we put it for the heck
of it or without knowing the reason of it, those Sri-vaishnavas who
see us will respect us and bless us which will eventually lead to
understanding of what it is. The outside ignorance must be cleansed
first, then the inner ones. As Poigayaar did through 'VAIYAM
THAGALIYA...' that was followed by Poodhatthar with 'ANBE
THAGALIYA..' leading to the knowledge of Perumal 'THIRUKKANDEN'.
Whether we are capable of wearing it or not, whether the sorroundings
let us do it or not is a different issue altogether. I definitely
feel, THIRUMAN must be worn by everyone who claim themselves to be
Sri Vaishnavite. If a person claims to be a Sri Vaishnavite, that
person should realise the importance of wearing the lotus-feet of the
ultimate and his MRS:-) Shri Mahalakshmi on their fore-head that
keeps reminding them they are governed, protected and taken care of
by the lotus-feet. That is why we say THIRUMAN KAAPPU which means
protection. In fact I asked my father about why even perumal in all
the kovils have the THIRUMAN and I got the reply that he does what
his adiyar does. As he says, "MAMA PRIYAHA" who are none but
SriVaishnavites of-course, he does it too. He wears what his Bakthas
wear. He wears his own feet just because his adiyar wears it. Isn't
this more than sufficient to say that THIRUMAN is of-course the key
thing to start with and just wearing it itself will be sufficient(for
the beginners at least) with a little knowledge rather than not
wearing it and talk about every veda and vedanta? Please do not call
it as a pura-chinnam. It is his esteemed feet. It is not a simple
symbol. It is his holy feet that gives us the knowledge about him.
Shri Vedanta Desikar has sung 1000 poems on those two lotus feet of
ultimate and he hasn't sung so many for anybody/thing else:-) I am a
25 year youth who suffered a lot, for wearing THIRUMAN when I went to
school and college and I eventually stopped wearing it not being able
to tolerate the criticisms I had undergone. But am sure I will be
back to myself very soon wearing them and proudly announcing to
everyone that lord is right here with me by placing his lotus-feet on
my fore-heads. I am sorry in case I had offended any one. I didn't
mean to. I just showered my feelings and also what I thought would be
a little value added contribution to this list.
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan.