Re: Digest Number 375

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 24, 2001

> Message: 8
>    Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:38:41 -0400
>    From: "K. Sadananda"
> Subject: Re: A doubt
>
> -------
> Regarding the question of iyer versus iyengar - All are Brahmins -
> Only sagotra is not sanctioned to avoid marrying in the same family.
> Otherwise there are no restrictions.  But from the family traditions
> one has to make sure the families are compatible.  Otherwise one will
> be more unhappy!  Traditionally Iyengars being Srivaishhnavates and
> Iyer being Saivates, one can run into problem in terms of following
> the rituals at home.  Gods may not have a problem but the followers
> of god will end up having problem.  One has to watch out.

Pardon me for bringing this up (this was last week's mail!), but I
remember Dr.M.A.Venkatakrishnan telling us that the difference (among
others) between Iyers and Iyengars is NOT that one worships Shiva and the
other Narayana, but more in the philosophy they follow. Iyengars follow
Visistadvaita, and Iyers follow Advaita and hence the Iyers lean towards
"Nirguna Brahman". If you have noticed, many orthodox Iyers wear "gopi
chandanam" as against "vibhuti".

Sincerely,
Adiyaen