You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : July 2001

A doubt

From: Anand Vasudevan (anandv_at_mascotsystems.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 05:11:49 PDT

Dear Srivaishanvas,

	I've been a regular reader of the bhakti group. Couple of days back
i was hearing yayati's prabhavam by sri krishna premi. There he was
explaining about marriages. he was telling that a brahmana can marry a
kshatriya/vaysa/other caste women, but a brahmana woman cannot marry anybody
other than a brahmana. My question here is two fold. 1) Can some body
explain why this is so? is this mentioned in the shastras? 2) Then can an
iyer woman marry an iyengar man & vice versa?

Please excuse if i have unintentionally hurt anybody's feelings.

adiyen,
Anand.