Re: Question from Murali Krishna

From the Bhakti List Archives

• July 6, 2001

sreedhar shivkumar writes:
> Deha Shuddhi is recommended even by the veda's , so
> its every person's duty to keep his body and clothes
> clean and neat.
> even the young child should start developing that
> habit right now. may be his clothes are torn , but
> even those he could keep it clean and neat.
> he could have washed his face , combed his hair.
> the basic things should be followed.

This strikes me as a bit insensitive. Where, pray tell,
should a little homeless boy wandering the streets of Delhi
wash himself and his clothes? Where should he get a comb
to groom himself? We can't even imagine how difficult it
must be to live under the circumstances this boy does.
I don't think we are in the position of judging how and
when he grooms himself, especially when he is trying to
fill his stomach.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,